Thursday, April 9, 2009

My Mission

I am a 24 year old daughter of a wonderful mother, and am attempting to do something very special for her for Mother's Day.  I am hoping that reaching out to people, particularly mothers, might be my best chance at succeeding for my mother this year.  My mother is a single, working mom (nurse at a veteran's hospital in Iowa) with four children, two of which live across the country from her.  

My mother and I have been separated for the past 20 years.  She moved to Iowa after my parents divorced, while I remained living with my father in California, and I can't remember if I've spent any Mother's Days with her since the divorce.  We have maintained a wonderful relationship over the years, but have not had the money to bridge the physical gap in our geographical locations to have more than one visit a year for those past 20 years, if we even had a visit at all each year.  

My mother hasn't been able to rejoice with me in my triumphs, hold my hand through the failures, and physically be there for me through it all, instead having to rely on phone calls and letters -- and also what that has meant for me throughout my young adulthood.

I posted a tribute to my mother as part of a contest, part of which would would fly my mother out to visit the East Coast, where I am currently attending school. If my mother were able to visit me here at school, see the area where I'm living, the school I'm attending, and the life I'm living now, it would be an unforgettable experience for both of us.  But, more important than winning the contest, I would love for as many people as possible to read my tribute to my mother, and appreciate what a truly wonderful woman she is.  And, maybe make the decision to honor their own mothers in a similar fashion.  

People can view my tribute at 
http://tinyurl.com/cu9rfc and, if they feel compelled to support my efforts to get my mother out here for a visit, you can even vote for us at that link (people can vote once a day throughout the promotion).  There are over 1000 entries honoring mothers for Mother's Day, and all they have done to touch our lives.  People also have the opportunity to honor your own mother for the world to see through May 8th through that link, as well.

I am reaching out to you in hopes that you feel my efforts here are worth sharing with others, and at the very least, that we children really do recognize what our mothers do for us, and truly want to return as much of that love as we can.

Finally, I want to wish a Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there.  You really do make this world a better place with your love and devotion to your children and families, and we will never be able to thank you enough for what you do.

2 comments: